How has the spread of digital technologies affected globalization? In this course, you will examine the various aspects of cultural globalization. We will look at how globalization manifests itself in our daily lives. Course topics includes branding and advertising, consumer culture, social media, news cycles, social justice and activism, sustainability, and identity.
Course Learning Outomes
Upon the successful completion of this course, students will be able to:
- Demonstrate awareness of key disciplinary conversations and debates about digital technologies and their impact on society and culture.
- Describe (both verbally and in clear, articulate writing) contemporary forms of social and cultural engagement that use digital technologies.
- Evaluate the relative strengths and weaknesses of research sources, digital tools, technologies, interfaces, and artifacts.
- Examine how technologically mediated identities reflect and transform cultural ideologies of gender, nationality, ethnicity, sexuality, and social class.
- Engage in collaborative critical thinking and reflect on your contribution, role, values, and identity as you engage in activities and debates about digital culture.
- Ideally, your work in this class will help you become a more organized and articulate thinker/communicator on any subject you choose to research.