Student Profile: Megan Otis, Web Development

Megan Otis, Web Development Certificate Program

Tell us a little about you

I was born in Southern California, but we moved up to Washington before I started kindergarten, so I feel like the Seattle area is my home. I’ve got a really big family. Most of them are in the area, in the Seattle and Portland area. I have two fur babies.

What was your work and education experience before coming to NCS?

I got my BA and my MA in Cultural Anthropology from Western Washington University, and while I was in college, I was working as an administrative assistant in higher education. I had been considering going on to get a Ph.D. I decided that with the economy I was going to put that plan on hold for a little bit and realized that I didn’t want to be an administrative assistant for the rest of my life. I thought “I have to explore some other options with more earning potential, and more advancement opportunities.”

What made you decide on the Web Development (WATTS) certificate?

Part of my administrative positions have always included updating the website, and the university that I was working for had an awful content management system. I started teaching myself a little bit of HTML, me and Google, to try and circumvent the content management system and discovered that it was pretty fun.  Given that Seattle is home to me and I know that there are lots of jobs in the tech field in Seattle area, and knowing that the tech field is making a big push to recruit a lot of women, I figured that that would be a really good opportunity for me, so I decided to get more education in web development.

Has the program helped you achieve some of your career goals?

Well, I didn’t even get all the way through the program before I got a new job working in web development. I am now the Web Support Specialist here at Seattle University, so before even finishing all of the coursework I had accumulated enough new knowledge and skill to just hit the ground running. Now I help all of the people here at Seattle U manage their websites.

What was your biggest challenge?

The biggest challenges for me, I think, was just getting back into the swing of things of being a student again. It had been a while since I had taken classes so just getting back into the rhythm of being a student and trying to make it work while working full-time during the day, it was a lot to do. But I really liked that you could see results right away, and just being able to see the change and see the progression over time was really satisfying.

What is one thing that you would tell another working adult thinking about going back to school?

It’s definitely an investment of time and it’s definitely a culture shock to get started and to get back into a student role again. But I learned so much in such a short period of time and got a new job right away that it was immensely worth it. The outcome was absolutely worth the input.

Contact us to learn more about the Web Development Certificate or the other B.A. Degree Completion programs, courses, and certificates at the School of New and Continuing Studies (NCS) at Seattle University.

Share